Sunday, July 13, 2014

Forgot Directions On Your Way

     You will never meet someone more directionally-challenged than me...ever. My GPS and I are best friends. If I go there once, I can't get back. If I go there five times, I can't get back. Street names are pointless. Do not ask me which road is 33 and which one is 231. I can't tell you. Dora the Explorer could not get me to Rainbow Mountain even with the help of Map.
     
    You will come to a place where the streets are not marked.
    Some windows are lighted. But mostly they're darked.
    Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in?
    How much can you lose? How much can you win?

    And IF you go in, should you turn left or right...
    or right-and-three-quarters? Or, maybe, not quite?
    Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find,
    for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.

    So, how do we make it through those "lost" moments? How do we navigate? Oh, the Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss. 

    There are so many decisions in life, some that matter and some that don't. But this mind-maker-upper has always had a problem with deciding which direction to go. What's funny, though, is when I'm in a car driving I have about 0% fear of being lost. As long as I have gas, it's really okay with me if I'm lost. I know that being lost is only temporary, for every wrong turn there is another turn that will get me back on the right path. 

    As someone who has vacayed in the waiting place, been in a lurch, met a few strange birds, and been in a prickle-ly perch, I have to say that the only solution to getting to your destination whether in a car or in life in general comes from the following passage:

    But on you will go
    though the weather be foul.
    On you will go
    though your enemies prowl.
   On you will go

   Sometimes life is just pushing forward, telling yourself, "On, I will go." When I'm lost in my car, I know that somehow someway I am going to make it to my destination. It may make no sense and may take all my gas, but I will get there. I happen to have a similar hope for my life. I've taken a few wrong turns in life already and will certainly take a few more, but with or without those turns I know I'll still make it. I also know that being lost will get me closer to my destination than sitting in a parked car crying about it will. You won't have all the answers always. Life doesn't come with a GPS that tells you every little turn to make. You won't always know exactly what direction to head in, but you can have faith that if you press forward doing the best you can and trusting yourself, you will make it. And if you're smart, you'll learn to enjoy being lost.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

Writing Music: "Compass" by Lady Antebellum and "Break Down Here" by Julie Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment